Movie House

40, Lenin Street, Vitebsk

The Movie House is located in the historical centre of the city. The building of the oldest cinema in the Republic is the architectural monument of the late 19th – early 20th centuries. Its first name was “Record“, later “Spartak“. In 1985, the building was totally reconstructed. In 2006, it was named as the Movie House.

The seating capacity of its auditorium is 514. There are 20 rows of single comfortable easy chairs and one row of double sofas (VIP-seats). There’s also a video conference hall (200 sq. m), a spacious two-level foyer and an entrance hall.

In 2013, the Movie House adopted the latest high tech such as Dolby system, digital film-projection equipment, screening of movies with Dolby 3D. The size of Sonora Regent S screen is 11,2m by 4,7 m. The names of many public figures, workers of culture and cinematographers are connected with the Movie House. It was here that the career of the famous cameraman, film director and founder of the film dynasty Boris Volchek started.

During “Slaviansky Bazaar in Vitebsk“ the Movie House is a permanent venue of the Festival Film Programme. The residents and guests of Vitebsk have watched and appreciated feature films, documentaries, animation films of the Belarusian, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Lithuanian, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian film makers.

Many films presented within the festival programme, like “In August of 1944“, “Anastasia Slutskaya“, “Burnt By The Sun“, “House“, have won the awards at the prestigious international festivals.

One of the main festival traditions is to organize presentations of films in the way that the audience can talk to the actors and producers of the films included into Festival Film Programme.

The foyer of the Movie House has more than once been used as the exhibition hall for graphics art and paintings.