The Contest has been a prime focus since the first edition of the International Music Festival “Slavianski Bazaar”. In 1992, it was known as the Contest of Young Performers of Pop Song. The International Jury headed by the People’s Artist of the USSR and art director of the State Ensemble ‘Pesnyary” Vladimir Mulyavin decided not to award the Grand Prix, while the I Prize was given to the Ukrainian singer Oleksa Berest.
The name of the Contest has changed several times. It was the Contest of Young Performers of Pop Song in 1993, the International Contest of Young Performers of Pop Song “Vitebsk” in 2001, and the International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk” in 2005. But its goals have always been the same: discovery and support of young talents, promotion of musical culture and art, interaction and dialogue among cultures of the world.
The Contest is open to young singers who have awards and diplomas from national competitions. They consider the participation in the Vitebsk festival a unique chance and great luck.
The Festival provides a unique opportunity for young singers to show themselves to their colleagues and thousands of spectators and viewers. The best contestant is awarded the Grand Prix and a “Golden Lyre” trophy.
XXX International Pop Song Performers Contest “VITEBSK-2021”
The Rules and Regulations were developed on the basis of the Instruction on the conditions and procedures for the International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk”, approved by the Decree of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Belarus dated 25.03.2009 No. 6 (with amendments and additions), and define the conditions and procedures for the XXX International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2021”.
The XXX International Pop Song Performers Contest “VITEBSK-2021” is held in the format of the XXX International Festival of Arts “SLAVIANSKI BAZAAR IN VITEBSK” from July 14 to July 19, 2021 in Vitebsk, the Republic of Belarus.
The International Pop Song Performers Contest “VITEBSK” pursues the goals of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk”, aimed at discovery and support of young talents, development of their abilities and improvement of their performance skills, development and strengthening of international cultural relations, exchange of spiritual and cultural values.
1. RULES FOR PARTICIPATION
1. The preparation and holding of the Contest is carried out and coordinated by the State Institution “Centre of Culture “Vitebsk”. The preliminary selection of the participants is held in the State Institution “Centre of Culture “Vitebsk” – the Board of Directors on the basis of the official entry forms, recommendations, audio and video materials submitted for the Contest.
2. The Contest is open to:
l singers aged 18 – 31 including (on the last day of the festival);
l no more than 20 participants from different countries of the world (one singer from a country);
l pop song performers who have stage experience, received awards at national music contests and festivals, and have recommendations from the State Ministries and Departments of Culture (for the CIS and Baltic countries), production centres, music studios, musical, television or radio programmes, boards of festivals and contests. The priority factor in the selection for participation in the Contest is a recommendation of the government body of the cultural sphere of the participating country, and (or) the victory of the participant in the national selection round (when it is held).
3. The official entry form (Attachment 1).
4. Every official entry should include the following materials:
AUDIO/Audio Presentation (“Playbacks -1” and “Playbacks +1” with the recordings of 3 songs submitted for the Contest: one song to perform on Contest day One with the orchestra accompaniment, two songs to perform on Contest day Two (for choice, to avoid duplication among the applied contest songs).
VIDEO/Video Presentation (video clips of the contest songs, promotional video clips presenting the artistic image of the participant). The high quality video should meet the specifications set in the Rules and Regulations (TV format: AVI DV, PAL, 48Khz; HD, Full HD format; high-resolution 1920x1080, aspect ratio 16:9, frame rate: 25 frames per second, MPEG-2, PAL, 9000 constant, stereo).
Lyrics of the submitted songs in their original languages and translated into Russian and English.
PHOTO/ at least 3 photos (format: JPG, PNG, TIFF, PSD; size: at least 2500 px on the short side, resolution: not less than 250dpi).
Curriculum vitae (resume), copies of diplomas awarded at other music contests and festivals (2019-2020).
Photocopies of passports of the participant and the accompanying person.
Recommendation from the body of the Public Administration in the sphere of culture of the participating country represented by the contestant (when available).
A document confirming the victory in the national selection round (when it is held).
5. The official entry form and entry materials should be sent to the following e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org before April 1, 2021. Tel.: +375 212 673340.
6. No entry materials submitted for the Contest are returned. The Board of Directors shall not provide the official evaluation. Entries that lack any of the above mentioned materials or sent after the deadline shall not be considered.
7. The official confirmation of the participation in the Contest (Invitation) is sent by the Board of Directors on behalf of the permanent Republican Organizing Committee (hereinafter referred to as the Organizing Committee) on the preparation and holding of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk” not earlier than one and a half month prior to the Contest.
8. The Contest is covered by mass media representatives accredited at the Festival.
2. THE CONTEST PROCEDURE
9. The Contest performances are held publicly within two contest days in the format of an entertainment event with the use of modern technical means of expression, stage images (“show programme”). The auditions are held publicly on the main festival venue – the Summer Amphitheater.
10. ON CONTEST DAY ONE every participant performs a popular, recognizable song, which is occupying (occupied) the leading positions in the world charts – “World hit”. The song four (4) minutes or less in length is performed with “Playback –1”. The recorded back vocal is permitted if it doesn’t duplicate and drown out the original voice (a melodic line) of the singer. “Playback –1” is provided by the participant.
11. ON CONTEST DAY TWO every participant performs a pop song by a composer from a Slavonic country and in any Slavonic language with the accompaniment of live orchestra. The song should be four (4) minutes or less in length.
12. Music arrangement for the song performed with the orchestra is provided by the Board of Directors.
13. Every participant should submit the sound carriers with the songs to the Board of Directors before drawing lots to secure the sound and track length check.
14. The participants may replace the submitted songs providing a written request and with the consent of the Board of Directors not later than two (2) months before the Contest.
15. The performance order of the participants is determined by drawing lots for two contest days in the presence of the International Jury (hereinafter – the Jury) and mass media representatives.
16. The rehearsals with the orchestra are held in Minsk. All the participants are to attend the rehearsals. The participants, who do not start the rehearsals according to the schedule established by the Board of Directors, are not allowed to continue the participation in the Contest. .
17. Each participant may be accompanied only by one person (stylist, make-up artist, producer, composer, teacher, etc.).
18. Travel expenditures related to moving of the participant and his/her accompanying person to participate in rehearsals in Minsk and at the end of the Contest back from Vitebsk (if direct flights are available, depending on the schedule of passenger service), registration, medical insurance are covered by the participant, the accompanying person or contributing party.
19. All the expenditures related to accommodation and meals of the participant and his/her accompanying person, travel expenditures (except for participants and their accompanying people living in Belarus) from Minsk to Vitebsk, and back from Vitebsk to Minsk (depending on the schedule of passenger service, in case of absence of direct flights), promotional campaign of the Contest, TV broadcasting, handbills and booklet production, an interpreter (if necessary), transportation (bus) around the city of Vitebsk are covered at the expense of the republican and (or) local budget within the funds provided by the state authorities for holding centralized events and resources not forbidden by law.
Note: The participants and their accompanying people are accommodated in one of the hotels in Vitebsk on decision of the Board of Directors.
3. THE INTERNATIONAL JURY
20. The International Jury is designated by the Board of Directors on contract and comprises famous pop song performers, composers and poets, managers and producers (excluding the managers and producers of the participants), journalists, prominent political and social figures, and other intellectuals who have gained a worldwide acclaim and promoted ideas of the Festival.
21. In 2021, the Jury shall be represented by no more than 12 members including the Chairperson, the secretary in charge and the technical secretary.
22. The Chairperson is appointed by the Organizing Committee of the Festival not later than 1 month prior to the Contest.
23. The Jury shall evaluate the contest performance using a ten-point system. The minimal evaluation point is five (‘5’).
24. The evaluation criteria of the contest performance shall be established by the Jury members at their first meeting, held one day prior to the Contest.
25. The Jury votes by open ballot using electronic equipment.
26. The Jury votes after the performance of each contestant on each contest day. The voting results are displayed on TV screens, set on the stage and in front of the Jury members, and announced.
27. Points obtained in the two voting rounds during the two days of the Contest are added.
28. From the contestants, who gained the biggest quantity of points, the Jury will designate the Grand Prix winner, Laureates and Diploma holders of the International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2021”.
29. The Grand Prix shall be awarded to the participant who gets the highest score according to the added two-day voting results.
30. In case the votes are equal, the Chairperson of the Jury shall have the deciding vote. If in the work of the Jury arise contentious issues, the opinion of the Chairperson is decisive.
31. The Jury is entitled to equally divide the Prizes (excluding Grand Prix and First Prize) between two participants who have scored equal points or have the difference of 2 points or less.
32. Should the International Jury decide that no participant meets the established criteria for awarding the Prize for the lack of merit (including Grand Prix), the Prize goes unawarded.
33. The International Jury meets in closed session; the decision of the International Jury is final and not subjected to any changes.
34. The final decision of the International Jury is registered, written up in the Russian language and kept in the Board of Directors.
35. The International Jury shall work according to the established Rules and Regulations of the Contest.
4. AWARDS AND PRIZES
36. The prizes awarded according to the results of the contest performances in the Final Round are the following:
Grand Prix – US $ 20 000 (twenty thousand US dollars), a special prize “Lyre” and Diploma of Grand Prix Winner of the XXX International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2021”.
First Prize – US $ 15 000 (fifteen thousand US dollars), a special prize “Lyre” and Diploma of First Prize Winner of the XXX International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2021”.
Second Prize – US $ 10 000 (ten thousand US dollars), a special prize “Lyre” and Diploma of Second Prize Winner of the XXX International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2021”.
Third Prize – US $ 5 000 (five thousand US dollars), a special prize “Lyre” and Diploma of Third Prize Winner of the XXX International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2021”.
37. Non-prizewinning participants are awarded Diplomas confirming their participation in the XXX International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2021”.
38. On decision of the Board of Directors and the International Jury, the Grand Prix Winner takes part in the Closing Ceremony of the Festival, without a fee.
39. Organizations, enterprises, companies and associations of any type of ownership, mass media agencies, prominent culture and art workers, pop singers are entitled to establish Special Prizes. The Prizes are to be approved by the Board of Directors and the International Jury of the Contest. The amount of the prize is not to be less than US $ 2 000 (two thousand US dollars).
5. SPECIAL REGULATIONS
40. The participant of the Contest (contributing party), applying for participation in the Contest, guarantees that he/she has the following rights to use the declared musical works with the text, including objects of copyright and related rights in their use:
- right to perform a musical work;
- right to use a musical work within the framework of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk” and further multiple (without restriction) use of the work in the following ways: recording, broadcasting, cablecasting, communication to the public through the Internet, satellite communications, IPTV, MMDS systems, OTT systems, mobile technologies, processing, public performance, public display, translation into another language, reproduction, import , distribution;
- possibility of sublicensing of the granted rights to third parties.
41. The participant of the Contest (winner/diploma recipient) shall grant the Board of Directors the right to use his/her image in the production of the promotional materials and give his/her consent to his/her name being used in connection with the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk”.
42. The participant of the Contest undertakes to transfer to the Board of Directors free of charge and in full the exclusive right to each contest performance without restriction on the territory of use during the period of validity of the copyright and related rights by all means provided for in paragraph 40 of these Rules and Regulations by signing the appropriate agreement.
43. In the event that third parties make any claims or sue the Board of Directors in connection with the use of each contest performance, the participant of the Contest will be the only respondent, the Board of Directors should be exempt of responsibility. In this case, the participant of the Contest also undertakes to indemnify the Board of Directors.
6. FINAL CLAUSES
44. The participant of the Contest (winner/diploma recipient) is not eligible for participation in the following editions of the Contest in the format of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk”.
45. Taking part in the Contest, the participant confirms that he/she has read and fully agrees with these Rules and Regulations, will comply with them, as well as the fact that his/her voluntarily provided personal data can be used by the Board of Directors of the festival at its discretion. The signature of the participant at the end of the completed entry form is required!
46. Should a participant fail to fulfill the Rules and Regulations, he/she is to be disqualified.
47. A participant of the contest is disqualified for the following reasons:
47.1. breach of the Rules and Regulations;
47.2. damage to the festival image;
47.3. absence from the dress rehearsals;
47.4. deviation from the performance as it was directed at the dress-rehearsals;
47.5. copyright infringement or dispute with the jury, organizers, sponsors;
47.6. pressure on the jury, the organizers for preferential treatment;
47.7. any form of obscenity or vulgarity towards the Organizing Committee, Jury members or the audience.
48. The decision to enact disqualification is taken by the Board of Directors of the festival and Jury members.
Attachment 1. The official entry form.