ABOUT THE ASSOCIATION
World Association of Festivals (WAF)
Legal address: 5, Prilepska Brigada, Prilep, The Republic of Macedonia
Registration date: 22.02.2010
Approved: the Statute, the Constitution, legal authority (Struge). The embassies of the countries-participants confirmed the festivals held in the countries.
President: Alexander Sidorenko (Belarus), General Director of the State Institution “Centre of Culture ‘Vitebsk”, Director of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk”.
Executive Vice-President: Marjan Kataroski (Macedonia).
Festivals – WAF members:
1. The International Festivals “Ezerski Biseri”, “X–Dance”, “Zvezdicki”, Macedonia;
2. The International Festival “Open Europe – Open Planet”, Russia;
3. The International Festival “Maibutne Kraini”, Ukraine;
4. The International Festival “The Birth of Star”, Hungary;
5. The Children Arts Association “Asha&Ana”, Serbia;
6. The International Festival-Contest “Smiles of the Red Sea”, Israel;
7. The International Festival of Arts “Аlmaly.kz”, Kazakhstan;
8. The International Festival “Fens”, Slovenia.
9. The International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk”, Belarus;
10. The International Festivals “Golden Stars Rain”, Russia;
11. The International Contest of Arts “Zorniya Kvetki”, Belarus.
Countries submitted applications to join WAF in 2015-2016:
1. The International Children “Djurdjevdan Festival”, Bosnia and Herzegovina;
2. The Public Association “Uspeshnie na vzlete” (festivals “Night Stars of Eilat”, “Stars of Hanukkah in Haifa”, “Golden Jerusalem”), Israel;
3. The International Centre for Cultural Ties “Israel-Belarus”, festival organizer, Israel;
4. The International Song Festival “Sanremo Music Awards”, Italy;
5. The International Youth Instrumental and Vocals Contest “Riga Symphony”, Latvia;
6. The International Fair of National Crafts “Kaziukas”, Lithuania;
7. The International Festival-Contest “Art-Breakthough”, Russia;
8. The Festival “Generation Junior”, Ukraine.
- establishing close cooperation with the festivals members of the WAF;
- providing help to the festivals that are at a lower organization level to accomplish the predicted WAF level of organization;
- increasing the opportunities of the young talents for participation in events organized by the WAF members;
- attracting new members an expanding the WAF in countries where it has no representatives.
- creating a database of the WAF members, festivals and other projects;
- exchange of ideas and experience about the process of organizing international festivals;
- organizing international conferences, training seminars, master classes and similar activities;
- realization of mutual projects;
- co-operating with national and international organizations whose aims are complementary to those of the WAF.
MEMBERSHIP in the World Association of Festivals (WAF) :
- submitting an application to be considered by the Board of Directors;
- filling in the application form;
- transferring nonrecurrent and annual membership fee to the bank account of the Association.
The World Association of Festivals shall consist of three categories of members: institutional members, individual members, founding members and honorary members.
The following may be institutional members: international festivals, national festivals, music productions, sound recording companies, publishing firms, as well as other institutions and organizations wishing to further the goals of the WAF;
The following may be individual members: all persons wishing to further the goals of the WAF;
The following may be elected honorary members of the WAF by the General Assembly: all persons who have rendered notable service to the WAF (sponsors).
On July 8, 2015, the XXIV International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk” hosted a meeting of the Executive Board of the World Association of Festivals (WAF) with the participation of the following representatives: Marjan KATAROSKI (Macedonia), the President of the World Association of Festivals (WAF), Director of festivals: “Forum Of Choirs”, “X-Dance”, “Ezerski Biseri”, “Asterisks”; Tatiana CHERKASOVA (Russia), Director of the International Festival-Contest of Children and Youth Creativity “Open Europe – Open Planet”, Vice-President of the World Association of Festivals (WAF); Natalia SKOPETS (Belarus), the author and director of the Open Musical Project “Present Children with a Dream”; Andrey BILL (Russia), President of the Contest “Golden Stars Rain”; Pavle PLAHUTNIK (Slovenia), President of the Music Festival “Fens”; Milan GNIP (Serbia), Director of the International Children Music Festival “Little Shells”; Dina SMAILOVA (Kazakhstan), President of the Public Foundation Children Music-Show Theatre “Tansari” and the International Children Festival “Almaly.kz”.
The acting President Marjan Kataroski (Macedonia) reported on the results of the activities over the previous period and suggested that the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk”, headed by Director Alexander Sidorenko (Belarus) should become WAF member.
The elections for a new President were held. Alexander Sidorenko, Director General of the State Institution “Centre of Culture “Vitebsk”, Director of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk” (Belarus) was elected President of the Association. The Executive Board was approved, including Serbia, Slovenia, Russia and Kazakhstan. The new composition of the Executive Board adopted a number of issues:
- granting WAF Special Annual Award in the framework of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk” to one of the participants of the International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk” and one of the participants of the International Children Music Contest “Vitebsk”;
- encouraging the participants of the festival competitions - WAF members by giving special invitations to participate in other festivals.
For the first time in 2015, the International Conference of the festival organizers “Festival Movement. Traditions and innovations” took place during the festival with the participation of the representatives from Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Israel, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia. The participants highly appreciated the opportunity to exchange opinions and expressed their wish to make such conferences a regular festival project.
Prospective lines of development:
The meeting of the WAF Executive Board outlined further activities of the Association. At this stage the offers to join the Association to the festivals in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Israel and Armenia are accumulated. The terms (January-February) and the meeting place (Bosnia and Herzegovina) for solving the organizational issues of the submitted applications are being considered. The WAF Board members, taking into account the new membership of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk”, has scheduled a long-term working plan for the next 5 years.
The possibilities of media planning, improving the information environment to attract more festivals for a partnership dialogue are being studied. These activities will help shape a prospective plan of further work and development of the Association and carry out monitoring on attracting new festivals at a high level.