The Vitebsk Philharmonic Society

69, Lenin Street, Vitebsk

The place where the building of the Vitebsk Philharmonic Society is located has long cultural traditions. Between 1873 and 1874, at the initiative of the governor P. Rostovtsev the two-storey brick building was refurnished for the city theatre. It hosted the performances of famous actors and non-repertoire companies, the plays by the Russian authors. The theatre was twice visited by V.E. Meyerhold. The first time he came with V.F. Komissarzhevskaya’s troupe, the second time with his own. At the end of the 19th century the auditorium had four circles and could hold up to 800 people.

In autumn 1920, the Vitebsk city theatre became known as the Province Show Theatre. In 1941, the building was destroyed. The new building was constructed in 1957 upon the project of A.Yefremenko in the style of the Stalinist architecture.

Since May 1989, it has been the location of the Vitebsk Regional Philharmonic Society. The Philharmonic Society has two halls. The big hall has a seating capacity of 500, while the smaller one has 100 seats. The Society is especially proud of its “Steinway & Sons“ concert grand piano and a “Glatter-Götz“ pipe organ.

The modern music equipment provides all the opportunities to enjoy the masterpieces of the classics and contemporary music performed by world-known guests and young talents.

The public attends the evenings of classical music, the Russian romance concerts, jazz, folk and bard’s song nights, performances and concerts-presentations. The Philharmonic Society invites to listen to organ music and enjoy the concerts of «Festival Without Borders».

The Award Ceremony of the International Pop Song Performers “Vitebsk“ has more than once taken place in the Vitebsk Philharmonic Society.