The Contest has been a prime focus since the first edition of the International Music Festival “Slavianski Bazaar”. In 1992, it was known as the Contest of Young Performers of Pop Song. The International Jury headed by the People’s Artist of the USSR and art director of the State Ensemble ‘Pesnyary” Vladimir Mulyavin decided not to award the Grand Prix, while the I Prize was given to the Ukrainian singer Oleksa Berest.
The name of the Contest has changed several times. It was the Contest of Young Performers of Pop Song in 1993, the International Contest of Young Performers of Pop Song “Vitebsk” in 2001, and the International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk” in 2005. But its goals have always been the same: discovery and support of young talents, promotion of musical culture and art, interaction and dialogue among cultures of the world.
The Contest is open to young singers who have awards and diplomas from national competitions. They consider the participation in the Vitebsk festival a unique chance and great luck. The performance at the Contest to the accompaniment of the National Academic Concert Orchestra of the Republic of Belarus under Professor and People’s Artist of the Republic of Belarus Mikhail Finberg is a great school of professional mastery.
The Festival provides a unique opportunity for young singers to show themselves to their colleagues and thousands of spectators and viewers. The best contestant is awarded the Grand Prix and a “Golden Lyre” trophy.
The International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2018”
The International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2018” is held in the format of the XXVII International Festival of Arts “SLAVIANSKI BAZAAR IN VITEBSK” from July 10 to July 18, 2018 (July 12 – the opening, July 16 – the closing of the Festival) in Vitebsk, the Republic of Belarus.
The International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2018” pursues the goals of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk”, aimed at discovery and support of young talents, promotion of musical culture and art, interaction and dialogue among cultures of the countries around the world.
I. THE ENTRY PROCEDURE
- The Contest is open to pop song performers who have stage experience, received awards at national music contests and festivals, and have recommendations from the State Ministries and Departments of Culture (for the CIS countries), promotion centres, music studios, musical, television or radio programmes, boards of festival and contest directors.
- The participants should be aged 18 – 31 including (on the last day of the festival).
- The preparation and holding of the Contest is carried out and coordinated by the State Institution “Centre of Culture “Vitebsk”. The preliminary selection of the participants is held in the State Institution “Centre of Culture “Vitebsk” – the Board of Directors on the basis of the official entry forms, recommendations, audio and video materials submitted for the Contest.
- The official entry form (attachment 1).
- Every official entry should include the following materials:
- AUDIO /Audio Presentation
- Two (2) CDs:
1) CD Audio with three (3) songs submitted for the Contest: one (1) song to perform in the SEMI-FINAL ROUND, two (2) songs to perform on Contest Day Two of the FINAL ROUND (for choice, to avoid duplication among the applied contest songs);
2) CD Audio with the song submitted for the Contest to perform with the orchestra accompaniment;
- Video /Video Presentation/ Video clips of the contest songs, promotional video clips presenting the artistic image of the participant. The high quality video (TV format: AVI DV, PAL, 720*576, 48Khz, stereo or DVD format: MPEG-2, PAL, 720*576, 9000 constant, 48Khz, stereo) should meet the specifications set in the Rules and Regulations;
- lyrics of the submitted songs in their original languages and translated into Russian and English;
- Photo/Three (3) photos on CD/DVD, format: tiff, jpg, 300dpi/inch;
- Curriculum vitae (resume), copies of diplomas awarded at other music contests and festivals (2016-2017);
- Photocopies of current passports of the participant and the escorting person;
- Recommendation from the body of the Public Administration in the sphere of culture of the participating country represented by the contestant (when available);
- A document confirming the victory in the national selection round (when it is held).
- The official entry forms and entry materials should be sent to the following address before April 1, 2018:
State Institution “Centre of Culture “Vitebsk”- Board of Directors,
International Relations Department,
1, Mayakovsky Street,
210026 Vitebsk, Belarus
Tel.: +375 212 67 44 37; +375 212 673-340,
Fax: +375 212 67 49 40
- No entry materials submitted for the Contest are returned. The Board of Directors shall not provide the official evaluation. Entries that lack any of the above mentioned materials or sent after the deadline (April 1, 2018) shall not be considered.
- The official confirmation of the participation in the Contest (invitation) is sent by the Board of Directors on behalf of the permanent Republican Organizing Committee (hereinafter referred to as the Organizing Committee) on the preparation and holding of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk” one and a half month prior to the Contest.
- The Contest is covered by mass media representatives accredited at the Festival..
II. THE CONTEST PROCEDURE
- The Contest consists of a SEMI-FINAL ROUND and a FINAL ROUND open for the public.
- The participants selected basing on the submitted entry materials and documents take part in the SEMI-FINAL ROUND. The number of the participants shall not exceed twenty one (21).
- In the SEMI-FINAL ROUND every participant performs a popular song by a composer from the country the participant represents and in the language of the country the participant represents. The song four (4) minutes or less in length is performed with “Playback –1” (mini-disk, CD Audio). The recorded back vocal is permitted if it doesn’t duplicate and drown out the original voice (a melodic line) of the singer. “Playback –1” is provided by the participant. According to the results of the semi-final round, 15 participants take part in the final round.
- 15 participants selected in the semi-final round take part in the FINAL ROUND. Note: The participants of the semi-final round who do not get into the final round are provided with a possibility to perform at one of the open festival venues (excluding the Summer Amphitheatre).
- The FINAL ROUND is held during two contest days – Contest Day One of the Final round and Contest Day Two of the final round in the Summer Amphitheatre, the main festival venue.
- On Contest Day One of the FINAL ROUND every participant performs a pop song by a composer from a Slavonic country and in any Slavonic language with the accompaniment of live orchestra (National Concert Orchestra of the Republic of Belarus). The song should be four (4) minutes or less in length.
- Music arrangement for the song performed with the orchestra is provided by the Board of Directors, if necessary.
- On Contest Day Two of the FINAL ROUND every participant performs a popular, recognizable song, which is occupying (or occupied) the leading positions in the world charts – “World hit”. The song four (4) minutes or less in length is performed with “Playback –1” provided by the participant (mini-disk, CD Audio). The recorded back vocal is permitted if it doesn’t duplicate and drown out the original voice (a melodic line) of the singer.
- Every participant should submit the sound carriers with the songs to the Board of Directors before drawing lots for the SEMI-FINAL ROUND to secure the sound and track length check.
- The participants may replace the submitted songs providing a written request and with the consent of the Board of Directors not later than two (2) months before the Contest.
- The performance order of the participants is determined by drawing lots held before the SEMI-FINAL and FINAL ROUNDS in the presence of the International Jury and mass media representatives. The performance order of the FINAL ROUND shall stay in force for the two contest days of the final round.
- The rehearsals with the orchestra are held in Minsk at the National Concert Orchestra of the Republic of Belarus (Minsk). All the participants are to attend the rehearsals. The participants, who do not start the rehearsals according to the schedule established by the Board of Directors, are not allowed to continue the participation in the Contest.
- Each participant may be escorted by one person (stylist, make-up artist, producer, composer, teacher, etc.).
- Travel expenditures related to moving of the participant and his/her escorting person to Minsk on the preparatory stage and back from Vitebsk, registration, medical insurance are covered by the participant, the escorting person or sponsoring organizations.
- All the expenditures related to accommodation and meals of the participant and his/her escorting person, moving from Moscow to Minsk and from Minsk to Vitebsk and back from Vitebsk to Minsk or to Moscow (depending on the schedule of passenger service to Minsk and back from Vitebsk, except for participants and their escorting people living in Belarus and Russia), promotional campaign of the Contest, TV broadcasting, handbills and booklet production, an interpreter (if necessary), transportation (bus) within the city of Vitebsk are covered at the expense of the republican and (or) local budget within the funds provided by the state authorities for holding centralized events and resources not forbidden by law.Note: The participants and their escorting people are accommodated in one of the hotels in Vitebsk on decision of the Board of Directors.
III.THE INTERNATIONAL JURY
- The International Jury is designated by the Board of Directors on contract and comprises famous pop song performers, composers and poets, managers and producers (excluding the managers and producers of the participants), journalists, prominent political and social figures, and other intellectuals who have gained a worldwide acclaim and promoted ideas of the Festival.
- In 2018, the Jury shall be represented by no more than thirteen (13) members including the Chairperson, the secretary in charge and the technical secretary.
- The Chairperson is appointed by the Organizing Committee of the Festival not later than one (1) month prior to the Contest.
- The Jury shall evaluate the contest performance using a ten-point system. The minimal evaluation point is five (‘5’).
- The evaluation criteria of the contest performance shall be established by the Jury members at their first meeting, held one (1) day prior to the Contest.
- In the SEMI-FINAL round the Jury votes by secret ballot.
- In the FINAL ROUND the Jury votes by open ballot using electronic equipment after the performance of each contestant on each contest day. The voting results are displayed on TV screens, set on the stage and in front of the Jury members, and announced. Points obtained in the two voting rounds during the two days of the Contest are added.
- From the contestants, who gained the biggest quantity of points, the Jury will designate the Grand Prix winner, Laureates and Diploma holders of the International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2018”.
- The Grand Prix shall be awarded to the participant who gets the highest score according to the added two-day voting results. In case the votes are equal, the Chairperson of the Jury shall have the deciding vote.
- The Jury is entitled to equally divide the Prizes (excluding Grand Prix and First Prize) between two participants who have scored equal points or have the difference of two (2) points or less.
- Should the International Jury decide that no participant meets the established criteria for awarding the Prize for the lack of merit (including Grand Prix), the Prize goes unawarded.
- The International Jury meets in closed session; the decision of the International Jury is final and not subjected to any changes.
- The final decision of the International Jury is registered, written up in the Russian language and kept in the Board of Directors.
- The International Jury shall work according to the established Rules and Regulations of the Contest.
IV. AWARDS AND PRIZES
- In the SEMI-FINAL ROUND Prizes are not awarded.
- Participants of the Semi-Final Round who have not reached the Final Round are given Certificates of appreciation confirming their participation in the Semi-Final Round of the XXVII International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk 2018”.
- The prizes awarded according to the results of the contest performances in the Final Round are the following:
- Grand Prix – US $ 20 000 (twenty thousand us dollars), a special prize “Lyre” and Diploma of Grand Prix Winner of the XXVII International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2018”.
- First Prize – US $ 15 000 (fifteen thousand us dollars), a special prize “Lyre” and Diploma of First Prize Winner of the XXVII International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2018”.
- Second Prize – US $ 10 000 (ten thousand us dollars), a special prize “Lyre” and Diploma of Second Prize Winner of the XXVII International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2018”.
- Third Prize – US $ 5 000 (five thousand us dollars), a special prize “Lyre” and Diploma of Third Prize Winner of the XXVII International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2018”.
- Non-prizewinning participants are awarded Diplomas confirming their participation in the XXVII International Pop Song Performers Contest “Vitebsk-2018”.
- On decision of the Board of Directors and the International Jury, the Grand Prix Winner takes part in the Closing Ceremony of the Festival without a fee.
- Organizations, enterprises, companies and associations of any type of ownership, mass media agencies, prominent culture and art workers, pop singers are entitled to establish Special Prizes. The Prizes are to be approved by the Board of Directors and the International Jury of the Contest. The amount of the prize is not to be less than US $ 2 000 (two thousand US dollars).
V. SPECIAL REGULATIONS
- Every participant, by the very fact of entering the Contest, shall guarantee that he/she has obtained all the necessary authorizations to use the submitted songs from all the rightowners concerned. All relations with Copyright Associations and other Right Protection Organizations regarding copyright and other co-rights, and related to the Rules and Regulations the Parties agree to handle independently.
- The participant of the Contest (winner/diploma recipient) shall grant the Board of Directors the right to use his/her image in the production of the promotional materials and give his/her consent to his/her name being used in connection with the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk”.
- The participant of the Contest (winner/diploma recipient) shall authorize the Board of Directors:
- to use the submitted songs and materials for demonstration for informative, promotional and other purposes;
- to reproduce in any mass media deemed most effective and in any way all the performances that have taken place in the format of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk”;
- to produce audio and video on the basis of the contest performances held in the format of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk” and distribute exclusively for the promotion of the Festival.
- The above-mentioned authorization shall be valid for the entire world.
VI. FINAL CLAUSES
- The participant of the Contest (winner/diploma recipient) is not eligible for participation in the following editions of the Contest in the format of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk”.The participant of the Contest who gets the Certificate of Appreciation is eligible for participation in the following editions of the Contest in the format of the International Festival of Arts “Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk” (for the participants younger than 31).
- Entering the Contest implies full and total acceptance of the Rules and Regulations.
- Should a participant fail to fulfill the Rules and Regulations, he/she is to be disqualified.
- A participant of the contest is disqualified for the following reasons:
- breach of the Rules and Regulations;
- damage to the festival image;
- absence from the dress rehearsals;
- deviation from the performance as it was directed at the dress-rehearsals;
- copyright infringement or dispute with the jury, organizers, sponsors;
- pressure on the jury, the organizers, or sponsors for preferential treatment;
- any form of obscenity or vulgarity towards the Organizing Committee, jury members or the audience;
- The decision to enact disqualification is taken by the Organizing Committee of the Festival.
Attachment 1. The entry from.